27 December 2010

Rambling on

Christmas with the family has been survived.

Since both my parents and my sister live not here, but in the same small city in Germany it is up to hubby and me to do the travelling.
We set off on the 16th, which also happened to be my Dad's 70th birthday.
That was celebrated with nice company and food.

On the 17th we set of to Cologne, where we visited various Christmas markets.
The oneat the Dom - sucked. The nicest thing was the light and the Dom itself.

Cologne 2010

Mediaeval one - sucked. The band was nice and we had some fun with the soap lady and the coffee crew, though.

Cologne 2010

Cologne 2010



Old town one - decent!!!

Cologne 2010

Cologne 2010


We travelled to Siegburg, just to see the mediaeval christmas market there. Which did not suck at all, but was a lot of fun and entertainment.

Siegburg 2010

Siegburg 2010

Siegburg 2010

Siegburg 2010

Siegburg 2010


We also ventured to Duesseldorf and yes, the christmas market there sucked as well.
What is it with all the food and alcoholic beverages? Where is the art, the spirit, the craftiness?

Christmas saw us returning to the aforementioned little town and tons of snow. With ice underneath. Oh joy....

I didn't much like Christmas.
That is both usually and particularly.

I have to come up with something less alcoholic (my parents hardly drink and I drink maybe two beers during the evening and night, but the rest of the extended family drinks like there is no tomorrow. On every occasion. And there are lots of occasions. My sisters mother-in-law turns into an awful, violent and insulting hag. Really great! I somehow get that my Mom has some problems with that lady. She is more decent when sober, though.)
Something that involves less stress on our part.
I just don't know what yet.

We came home to something like this:


Winter 2010

Moist air, anybody?

I loved the present I got from my parents. A wooden train. With tracks. You can't understand this, but it used to be my favourite toy when I was a wee little pixie.
I will display it and I might even post pictures once I have it constructed the way I want it.
It's not the same train, but it's a wooden train. With tracks. My dolls will love it!

I also got myself a second-hand spinning wheel. Now I just have to get the hang of it. Which sounds easier than it is ;-)

Spinning Wheel with Roving

Spinning Wheel with Roving

I managed to knit the hubby a scarf (his request and he chose the yarn).
I also got 80% done on a shawl for dear little me.
I got some colourful yarn for a cowl for dear little me.

I got to see the rerun of the Doctor Who Christmas special. I cried.

I decided I need more mediaeval markets and events in my life. There is very little of that here in the Netherlands, so there will be some travelling involved.

Now we are enjoying the remainder of hubby's vacation. There will be a visit to the cinema. Some shopping. Lots of cat cuddling. Some spinning and knitting. Reading - oh, how I love reading. Food.

And to leave you on a fantasy dream -

Your fairy is
Hazel Elfwand
She is cheerful and friendly.
She lives in places hexed and tainted by black magic.
She is only seen when the seeker holds a four-leafed clover.
She wears black feathers and rose petals and has transparent green wings like a cicada.

No comments: