I needed something fun to do.
Today is rainy and windy and spring is nowhere to be found. So I decided I go and dye roving! With easter egg colours!
I loved it and I'm pretty happy with the results.
I had three different kind of rovings - BFL, BFL/Tussah and Merino/Tencel. All about 100mg, so a total of 300mg
I had five colours: yellow, orange, red, blue, green
I mixed two additional ones: a blue-green and a purple.
I followed the process described here
Soaking in water and vinegar:
Preparing the dyes and workspace:
I started with the BFL/Tussah mix:
After I dyed all three rovings I steamed the living daylights out of them, in total for about an hour.
After a cool down period (which I spent answering the postmen twice, once for my neighbours, once for me, preparing and eating some food and setting up a date with a friend) I unpacked the parcel in the sink. It's already interesting to see how the different rovings took the colours! The BFL is vibrant while the Merino/Tencel is seriously muted. It's difficult to pick a favourite!
And hanging in the shower to drip dry!
I had no colour bleeding at all.
The next time I will wear gloves, though. My fingernails have a rather interesting hue ;-)
And now I go and unpack my parcel from Fyberspates!
I ordered myself a lucky dip and Sparkle Lace merino, silk and sparkle in "water colour"