28 July 2012

Life: A Grand Day Out

We got some free train passes earlier this month. They have limited validity and so we decided to use the first one last weekend.

We stepped into the train and about 45 minutes and one change later we ended up in the wonderful Dutch city of Delft.

I have a soft spot for old places. Not necessarily castles (unless they are early medieval), but villages, cities, places.

Delft has a wonderful old city centre well worth a visit. We had only planned on a nice day out, little did we know that the place was swinging!

One of the first things we stumbled across was this, right outside the train station and the big bicylce parking lot:


P1130166

Delft is famous for its pottery - Delftware.

The bathroom of the restaurant we had our pancakes (yummmmmm) are a great example of a more contemporary approach ;-)

P1130181

The complete old city centre was one gigantice flea/antique/curiosity market!

P1130195 P1130202 P1130194 P1130203 P1130223 P1130225

Of course I had to visit the local yarn store, a wonderful place called Knotton Wol
I should have taken a picture and it's a shame I didn't, but they are located right next to a Wines&Whiskies Like a HIS&HERS - the hubby went left and I went right.

Some time later both of us emerged. And I went into the left door, too :-)
Hey, I like a wee dram every now and then and my taste leans more to the peaty and smoky kind. It's a nice place and the folks are really nice and friendly and I got to taste a blend that I also purchased. Who said only single malts are worth it?

I got a little surprise on our way back to the station - we approached the old church and went around it and there they were - hanging from the beams of the stall, all purple...
"My colour!" I thought. "Now, if they are my size...."
They were!

So, here's the loot of the day:


P1130232

I think Delft influenced my colour choices - my blue period, I'd say :-)

6 balls of Lana Grossa Lampone
5 balls of Lana Grossa Divino
Those two will become a shrug

A total of 4 balls to complete two shawls I'm working on.

9mm DPN for hat-knitting

A pair of purple Doc Martens

A peat monster in a bottle, a Calvados and a Single Malt.

The Catania is also for a sweater I'm working on.

I was wearing one of my latest creations and it got me a compliment from the owner of Knotten Wol:

Blumenbeet

Currently, I'm working on a shrug for the Ravellenic Games.
I have a carded a wonderful batt for the spinning event I'm looking forward to spin.
There is yarn dyeing.

I have some wonderful patterns lined up for using some of my stash.
I have some new yarn on its way.

I just love my arts and crafts <3

1 comment:

Meilindis said...

Nice new pretties you have!
Delft is a lovely city, isn it!