21 November 2009

When I'm not behind the computer...


... I try to feed my creative soul.
Back in August, I had bought a lace collar at Armstrong in Edinburgh.
It was a dirty off-white and stained, still after giving it a good wash.
Earlier this month I went ahead, prepared a bowl (as in salad bowl) full of tea (black - I think some Earl Grey was involved) and gave the collar a bath, then a wash.
It came back a nice vintage light brown, a lot less dirty looking.
But still I wasn't quite happy with it.
Last weekend I took some of the sequins I had, needle and threat, light some candles, got a coffee, put on some music and started embellishing that thing.
It's now lined with sequins and the place where a button and its buttonhole have been are now covered in two flowers. What an odd place for a button to begin with!

Today I wore it for the first time. It's been 14 degrees Celsius out there, far away from the autumn feeling I would like to have in November and by no means even close to a pre-Yule feeling.

Ray of sunshine

The earrings, though barely visible here, have also been made by me at some point. Left over yarn and two wonderful wood buttons - and voila, earrings. Some crochet was involved ;-)

There is one thing that I enjoy particularly in autumn.
Something I have enjoyed ever since I could combine walking with fallen leaves:

Look Ma, no feet

Shuffling through heaps of dry leaves! Brings out the child in me anytime!
I haven't managed to collect chestnuts or acorns this year, the cat love kicking chestnuts around and I love acorns, but alas...not this year.
We don't live close to any big trees with autumn fruits and nuts and there is no forest around here, normally I would bring them home from Germany, when visiting the parential units.

I love the colours of autumn, I love fog, I even love storms. We had our first "south western" beginning of this week and a second storm front is coming in next week. I love how the air smells of sea and tastes of salt.
We didn't have much of this so far, instead I thought I spotted the signs of new blossoms on trees. Not good!

Which reminds me - I need to get my balcony sorted. I'm planning to grow some tomatoes and carrots, next to some herbs next year. Also some wild flowers - my bees and butterflies invitation ;-)
Dutch gardens are usually more a terrace with a couple of plants in pots, so not really a good feeding ground for my winged friends. I don't care if the neighbours hate me - it's a pretty sight and makes me smile every time I look out of the window in our living room.

Oh, and lavendar...I need lavendar!

No comments: