22 October 2008

Summer’s End

Autumn is here...it's chilly now at night and still warm during the day. Leaves are turning colour and I love the smell in the air.

I haven't knitted, really knitted for far too long. Like hours on end, audiobook on, headphones on, tea next to me...

I completed a neckwarmer on size 15mm needles out of Gedifra Gigante on the way to my sister last weekend and worked on my Sassa Lynne cotton scarf for the rest of the time (on size 2,5mm needles) and it grew visibly! My Mom has picked up knitting again, small projects and only as long as her athritic hands allow, but it's good to see her handling the needles again. She was my inspiration in the first place, many moons ago. A LOT OF MOONS AGO ;-)



Work: better not mentioned. Project is getting nowhere any time soon and two other projects, related to each other and also related to my main project are nearing their deadline. I mentioned the interaction to the Project Manager of these two and that integration would needed to be tested as far as I'm concerned. She agreed and asked why it wasn't done. I told her that the Project Manager (who is at the same time my manager) didn't think it was a priority. She asked for the name and when I gave it to her she started laughing and just said:"Forget it. You raised the flag, let's leave it at that, that's all you can do. And just between you and me - by the end of the year we're gone and they will be no support."
So I am not the only one having doubts of his competence.
Uncapable of clear answers or decisions.
I started looking for a new job.
That makes me the second one out of the five ladies currently in the team. I'm not rushing this, but it feels good to know that I have a way out. Que sera, sera!

Yesterday was our eight wedding anniversary. Since we couldn't celebrate on the day itself we both took today off and slept in, had a wonderful lunch and pancakes with ice cream for dessert. We celebrated our initial wedding at a pancake house back in 2000 - rather untraditionally. And I would just do it again.
I didn't wear a dress, but beige pants and shirt with a green chasuble. My hair was short, its natural colour and I wore little makup and my Mom's gold jewellery.
There was no program, I just had my families and friends around me.
I would do it all over again and I would marry the same guy. Yep, I can be that boring ;-)

Talking about boring - my latest hair colour definitely isn't! It was a bit of an adventure, seeing that on the day of my appointment, exactly one week ago I already got stuck in the train on the way as the city was experiencing a power outage. When we finally were allowed to process to the next station, one station away from where I had to be, but with a great metro connection I departed the train and exodused with hundreds of others direction metro. A couple of stops later I managed to arrive at the "salon" (it's a tiny space in a corner of a warehouse annex called Chill Out) only five minutes late. I was greeted by a young gentleman by the name of Thomas - clearly not my stylist. Her name was Sigrid and she had just called about being stuck in a train due to power outage...sounded familiar. We made the best out of the situation, got some coffee and my tresses were shampooed and conditioned.
After that I got ushered to a chair with...no mirror! A TV with a movie playing in front of me. And space for my cup of uisce beatha, java flavoured, no ethanol, sugar or milk. That was slightly weird in the beginning, not to see what he was doing - but although I knew the movie it's one of my better liked ones - National Treasure. I love conspiracy theories. After the cutting and buzzing the dye was prepared and applied. Same as last time - magenta - but now all the dark red bits were gone and the result is VIBRANT to say the least. I'm absolutely in love it, both cut and colour. It's slightly punk-ish with its short sides and longer back, the back will grow longer still and I want to keep top and sides as they are.
This is it today, a week after the deed was done:



That purple and pink are two favourite colours of mine is somewhat known in the meantime and I got some lovely eyeshadow to match hair and glasses. Now, if only I could find the perfect lip colour...it's my proverbial grail at the moment.




I also discovered another perfume oil goddess in the form of Astrid at Blooddrop
I got quite a package from her, including some Halloween treats! Halloween KitKat - I didn't know it existed! How delightful!
I believe in supporting small and unknown artists and enjoy discovering what others have to offer to this world.

This is what I got:

Little tryouts of:
Witchery
What witchery becomes in this wood?
Ask thee not lest ye be invited to partake of the foul festivities and daemonic songs.
~Old New England church warning to peasant folk on the Witches Sabbath (October 31st)
Dark and conjuring musk, sinister patchouli, thick sunless woods and orchards, dizzying rum, diving clary sage, and the oozing hay absolute of scarecrows.

Broceliande
(Broceliande Forest, Brittany, France)
For the death of Nature un-renewed. Lush, green, mystical. Green fruits of the forest, meadows and canyons, clear and sharp rain.

Le Cimitiere de Binic
(Cememtery of Binic, France)
A small seaport cemetery, crushed seashells for gravel, a blanket of camellia petals, withered bouquets of roses, ornate crosses and saintly statues, and always an Atlantic breeze that sounds like faint whispers.

Belle Cavaliere
A ride through an English garden. Light and airy florals with leather.

Broomstick
Sweet summer apricots, crisp early fall red apples, moist spice cake, clove and brown sugar. Just some of the things any good witch will have in her pantry!

Devonshire Cottage
A quaint stone farm house with a view of the wild ponies. A bountiful bouquet of herbs from the garden, creeping ivy, and a gentle base of clotted cream, sugar and condensed milk.

Sigh
Incredibly soothing herbal tea with rose, mimosa and honey.


And for my most beloved husband - it arrived in time for our anniversary, perfect timing. He LOVES anything with lavender (or chocolate ;-)) and it smells great on him:

Academic Absolute
This is Blooddrop’s first gentleman’s fragrance. It has been named in honor of my scholarly male friends, regardless of their field of study. It is a handsome, elegant scent with a blend of classic ingredients: amber, vetiver and lavender.

Two bottles of Cobweb and Merci 14, both no longer on the website.

I'm wearing Witchery now, dark and soothing. I already discovered more I want to try - Schicksappeal
Oy vey, what she’s got that we don’t?! Schicksa-appeal, baby! A sparkling, bright, clean and just-ever-so-slightly unorthodox blend of green tea, wisteria, ginger ale, sweet grass and a paper thin slice of kiwi.
Kiwi? In a perfume? Got to try this!
I love unusual mixes.

No comments: