02 August 2011

Spinning and knitting and dyeing...

Summer is currently making a short appearance and I've decided not to miss its show ;-)

So I spent yesterday swimming with a friend and then talking spinning in her garden. She came into the possession of an old spinning wheel, which needs some glue and tender loving care and a couple of bobbins before we can test drive it. But the main parts are in good condition...I just have to figure out where the brake band is...

The late evening was spent spinning myself - some Gotland for my cardigan and some silk-merino-flax mix for a funny hat.

I've also corespun and knitted a Kermit and Miss Piggy cowl. No picture of the finished product yet - it's too warm to model it right now. But here it is on the bobbin:

United forever

Recently finished:

Pretty Cuffed

www.knitty.com/ISSUEff11/PATTprettytwisted.php

Handspun and party handdyed yarn - a small amount
3,5mm dpn
three cute cat buttons

One lovely piece of jewellery. Has already seen some wear on the autumn days we have had...

I wish my two outstanding yarn deliveries were here...one is a sparkly sock yarn and the other is mixed sock yarn. You know - silk and wool and bamboo and wool. It would have been a perfect day for dyeing.

Talking about dyeing...
My friend Miran and I are going to try our hands at dyeing with chestnut shells. The first ones are already falling (seriously, we haven't had summer yet, could autumn wait a bit? Pretty please?) and we would love to experiment. We don't want to use mordants that are poisonous and are researching methods to avoid those chemicals. I'm pretty sure the medieaval and early dyers didn't use anything that comes in christalline form out of a pot with a skull on. I'v stumbled across a great Wiki site about traditional dyes of the Scottish Highlands which I'm going to try. Dandelion turns magenta? I so have to try this...

But first: breakfast for me before I wash some wool and hang it to dry.
Happy Tuesday!!!

No comments: